As I reflect on the last few weeks and the readings and videos in this
course, I have to laugh just a little. I
laugh because lately I cannot hear a question without wondering what it would
look like wrapped up in an action research study. While I am not going to complete action
research on whether I should use paper or plastic, I am going to give pause to
questions I do have, in the educational setting, to determine if there is
indeed a worthy action research project ready and waiting. An action research that will improve, enhance
the climate and culture of our campus.
Now, I look for ways to improve systems and the ways students learn and
develop their academic skills.
I think back to week one when I was introduced to action research. I recall the sense of panic at my initial
thought that I was going to have to do a complete action research project in
five weeks. I quickly learned the
process and timeline and let out a sigh of relief. However, I did also quickly learn that the
art of action research, while engaging and kinetic in nature, is a process that
requires not only the traditional research component, but also then an
experimental component. Then the two are
linked to provide results, which are shared and changes implemented.
During each week I would find myself going back to the text or watching
the videos again. Each time I did, I
stumbled upon new information, new learning.
As I worked my way through week three of the course, I found that
revisiting the information paid off in a big way. Now, don’t get me wrong. Week three was a very long, action-filled
week of reading, collaborating, planning, reflecting and typing. However, at the end of the week the clouds
part, the sun shines and a plan is revealed.
I must admit that I have already revised the plan several times to make
improvements based on colleague feedback, but the plan is ready for action.
As I mention colleague feedback, I cannot help but think about the
blog. It seems like I posted my action
research there about a year ago. Having
a medium such as a blog is priceless. I
have enjoyed the feedback from others in the program and appreciate the time
and energy put into their thoughts and comments. This collaboration, although far from a
discussion over a cup of coffee, it does provide an avenue for sharing thoughts
and ideas. It also allows for revision
and modification.
I find myself revisiting the past assignments and reflecting on the
videos watched during week two. Through
the course, we were given the opportunity to hear how action research study has
impacted four different schools/school districts. Having that knowledge and knowing that this
isn’t just something that I will do only to have it put on a shelf is good to
know. Hearing that the action research I
perform could possibly, and should, bring about change on my campus and
possibly the district, helps me understand the greater impact and importance of
my individual action research study.
Now at the end of the course, I can breath easier
knowing our action research project will not be a five-week process, but rather
a program-long activity. I can take the
knowledge I have gained through the texts, videos and blog collaboration to enhance
not only my learning, but to enrich my action research study.
No comments:
Post a Comment