Sunday, September 29, 2013

Update - Action Research Indirect Mentoring


The school year started with high activity pushing my action research plan into full effect.  I have compiled data sources from which I will support finding and provide research based hypothesis.  I am currently in the data collection phase of my action research compiling information and data from administrators, teachers and counselors creating a student pool.  From this student pool, candidates will be selected to be included in the action research plan.  I have started working with select students identified at the end of the previous school year at the request of my administration.  As outlined in my action research plan, I am working with students who have been identified based on behavior data and are in need of behavior interventions to remain successful in the classroom.  I have started providing in-class, indirect mentoring through frequent visits and providing redirection and 1:1 academic support.   Only being in school for a few weeks, we are still allowing students the opportunity to settle into routines and get acclimated to classroom expectations and procedure.  Additionally, I am giving time for teachers to establish communication with parents and to strengthen the family-school relationship which leads to student success.  Currently I provide ongoing, indirect mentoring to two students by frequently (at least once during each academic content area) providing in-class behavior and academic support.  I provide support for another student, as directed by my administrators, through frequent check-ins (indirect mentoring), supporting the teacher with visual icons to redirect student in the classroom and reducing verbal redirection.  I am using a variety of interventions and positive reinforcements to increase wanted behaviors and decrease ongoing, disruptive behaviors.  I currently meet with our elementary behavior coordinator to gain additional knowledge and understanding of effective, research-based interventions and reinforcements.  Additionally, I was also granted the opportunity to attend a behavior (Enhancing Verbal Skills) workshop and increased my knowledge base and skill set.  Data will continue to be collected to determine effectiveness and find areas for revision and improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment