Sunday, April 14, 2013

What I Have Learned About Action Research


I have learned that action research is an ongoing process.  It is a process that gives birth to new ideas and new areas of discovery.  It is not a process where one stands on the fringe, watching things happen, taking a few notes and then report on what was seen or read.  It is a process where one puts on a pair of work gloves and gets right in the middle of it all – working through the question, actively seeking answers, taking notes, conducting literature review and solving problems, and then reports about what was done and the impact it had, the new learning that took place and what is next.  I have learned that through action research relevant, current problems are solved and questions answered by those closest to it, “ . . .practitioners play a part in the research process, which makes them more likely to facilitate change based on the knowledge they generate” (Dana, 2009, p. 5).

I’ve always thought of myself as a problem-solver.  I always find myself looking at my classroom layout, pulling apart the latest benchmark test, and dissecting behavior data.  I find I am constantly searching for ways to improve classroom logistics/dynamics, help students improve test sores, seeking new strategies and ways to improve classroom management skills.  Now I understand that all this time I was conducting action research.  I must admit, my research was sorely lacking in formality, but it was action research nonetheless.  I have learned that action research is something I do everyday not only for my benefit but also for the benefit of my students, our classroom, the school and our district.  I learned action research is a cycle of discovery.  I will continue to use action research to explore solutions to problems and answers to questions, adding to it the missing “formal” components - bringing it full-circle.  I will include others in this learning process to create communities of learning – communities for change.  

References

Dana, N.F. (2009). Leading with passion and knowledge: The principal as action researcher.
Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment